HI! I am Linda Holt and for as long I can remember I have had two passions, photography and decorating.
Growing up in a suburb West of Boston, I spent hours rearranging and decorating my bedroom. When I tired of that, I would head outside with my Kodak Instamatic Camera. My subjects were usually our English Setter, Spunky, and miniature Poodle, Gigi. Looking back, they were the most patient dogs on the planet.
Ultimately I chose to pursue photography which lead to a 25 year career as a professional photographer in Boston. My specialty was shooting head shots and portfolios for actors and models. I absolutely loved working as a photographer, yet never lost my passion for decorating. My weekends were often spent wandering through flea markets or antique stores, making window treatments, trying out a new wall color or painting a dated piece of furniture. My husband and two sons never knew what room was going to be torn apart next.
As much as I loved running my photography business, chronic neck pain from twenty five years of lifting heavy cameras and photo equipment had finally taken it’s toll. After visiting multiple spinal specialists, I was told that it was time to put down the heavy cameras for good, or I would soon be facing spinal neck surgery.
Rather than be defeated by the diagnosis, I embraced it as an opportunity to finally pursue my interest in interior design. In 2008 I packed up my photography studio and went back to school to study interior design.
I opened Linda Holt Creative in 2011 and today I split my time between empowering clients to create their dream home and teaching iphone photography.
I decided to specialize in consulting after receiving a growing number of calls from homeowners who told me they enjoy the process of decorating their own home.
It was important to them that their home reflect their design choices as well as maintaining full control over their budget and timeline.
This type of interior design service is something I searched for back when I was still working as a photographer. Like many of my current clients, I had a good “eye” but I needed some professional help to end the continuous buy and return method of decorating. I made many calls but had no luck in finding an interior decorator or interior designer that would work “with” me and also allow me to order my own products.
Once I opened my own business I knew this type of consulting service would be of huge value.
Some fun facts and accolades:
- I’ve been married to the same guy for 37 years and we have two grown sons
- We recently downsized from a big house in the country to a condo 9 miles from downtown Boston
- We have a rescue dog named T. Nevers who refuses to have his picture taken
- Voted into 2020’s top 20 Design Influencers in North America
- Chosen as a tour leader of High Point Furniture Market “Insider Tour” in 2019 and 2020
- Trend writer for Merrimack Valley Magazine
- Two time featured designer for the national event the One Room Challenge
- Chosen as a four time participant in Design Hounds national tours
- Published in Merrimack Valley Magazine, The Boston Globe, Seasonal Living, House Beautiful Online, and Architectural Digest online
- Chosen as Elle Decor designer of the Day in 2012
- Featured speaker on getting better iphone photos at multiple design industry events
- Interviewed on several national Podcasts including A Well Designed Business, Inside Design with Kandrac&Kole, Wingnut Social and Design and Style podcast
- I started a Facebook photo challenge during the stay at home orders that has over 600 members
Get access to my FREE Mini Magazine:
5 Elements that a well-designed room and a well-composed photo have in common
Sign up to get the guide + each new blog post straight into your inbox!